Saturday, July 6, 2013

CBBT 6 July 13

So a buddy of mine and I went to the CBBT this morning and the day started off well enough I suppose... I dug up some Mole Crabs for the Sheepshead that I just new were going to be there since Kayak Kevin caught one a few weeks ago... Fail #1 -no luck on the Convicts all day. I did have a Banded Rudderfish that decided to follow my kayak around. The only reason I can think of is that it thought I was it's mother since my Urban Camo Trident 13 kayak has somewhat similar markings.. (Thanks to Rob Choi for identifying this little guy. The odd marking on his head totally fits) 
The Croaker were the first to steal my bait, over and over relentlessly eating my tasty mole crabs... as I write this I suppose it could have been spade fish stealing my bait too but I never caught one of them since my hooks were too big... Then it happened, the rod tipped and I thought I was in for the fight of my life...Fail #2- I landed a 10 inch Sea Bass.... Granted I had never caught one before so I was still a bit excited. I moved on towards the island and stuck with the mole crabs but i decided to try fishing off the bottom.. The rod tipped deep and the fight was on... Fail #3- 12 inch Tautog out of season... I had never caught one of these either so at least there's that.

I had had enough with the mole crabs and bait thieves at this point so I decided to bounce a buck-tail around and see what happens.. Just on the East side of the island the rod tipped REALLY DEEP and the fight was on. My redeeming moment had come at last. This was the fish that would make the day. This was the fish that would bring me glory in the eyes of my wife and kids... It came to the surface and my eyes almost popped out of my head. There on the end of my line was the biggest flounder I have ever seen in my life. Fail #4 I hesitated, out of shock for just a moment before landing this Goliath doormat and that moment was enough. The fluke flaked out and slipped off the hook. I had never caught a Flounder either and I guess I still haven't. At least my buddy was there to see the massive Flounder that got away.

Even with all that failure, It was still a good day with 3 new species and I think I learned a few things. The most important thing I learned is to get that darn Flounder in the boat as soon as I see it!!!! 

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the flounder. Makes your stomach drop doesn't it? I think the striped fish is a Banded Rudderfish...
    http://www.angling-addict.com/2012/07/cbbt-critterpalooza.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your absolutely right. that marking on the head is a dead giveaway.

      Delete