Tuesday, August 13, 2013

CBBT #3

I hit the CBBT again on Monday with my normal fishing partner Auggie and a new friend, Rhomsey. After introductions, we set to the mole crab digging. My current method of choice is to use a small shovel and a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled in the bottom to sift through the sand. This can be very tiring and tough on the back but its better than digging by hand as Rhomsey will tell you. It works best as a two man operation. I definitely think a mole crab rake is on the shopping list for next year. After we had satisfied ourselves with the mole crab haul, we paddled straight out to the first island. 
Almost immediately Auggie hooked up to a nice sized triggerfish. The three of us worked our way around the island fussing with little Black Sea Bass. As I got closer to the bridge I found a a couple of Triggerfish lookin to go home with me for dinner so I picked em up. It seems to me that triggers stay in groups close to the rocks and will eat both clams and mole crabs. I also think they like the color red because they seemed to be attracted to my bare hook. The 2/0 hook is just a bit too big for them but the 1/0 or slightly smaller is perfect. I was really hoping for a sheepshead but triggers for dinner will at least prove to my wife I was fishing. 
I went around The other side of the island then made my way back to the bridge. By the time I linked back up with the group, Auggie had picked up a 22" Black Drum. Nice new species checked off for him. 
Rhomsey was definately trying but a few Black Sea Bass were the only things picking up what he was putting down. 
As always, the paddle back was brutal but we made it to shore finally. It was another great day on the water. Thanks to Rhomsey and Auggie for comming out. Lets do it again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment