Saturday, August 10, 2013

Chickahominy Lake


I started my 4 day weekend off with a trip to Chickahominy Lake and a new convert to kayak fishing. It sure was a good thing I took my friend because I've never been bass fishing and I'm quite sure the way I was planning to fish, I would not have caught anything. Once out of the creek my friend hooked up to a nice bass in the middle of the channel.

 

I paddled over to take a picture and scope out his rig. He then lent me the necessary supplies to make a few Carolina rigs and explained the idea and I was off. The wind was blowing pretty hard on our side of the lake so we decided to paddle over to the lee side and see if it was better. We could see the fish jumping all around us but just couldn't get hooked up on any. I worked my way into a little creek with a bunch of lily pads and had a few bites then wham! This 16.5 bass slammed down hard. Suddenly I understood the draw of the bass. 


I had a few more bites but didn't catch anything else. My friend caught a couple more small fish but no more big guys. All in all, it was still a great day. I caught a fish, made a kayak convert, and learned a ton. Not to mention a great day on the water. 

No comments:

Post a Comment